Warning! Prosecco can seriously damage your teeth!
Who doesn’t love a glass or three of Prosecco? Unfortunately, our beloved drink can literally wipe the smile off your face if you are not careful!
Due to its excessively high sugar content, drinking Prosecco on a regular basis can directly lead to tooth decay. Research claims that there is a teaspoon full of sugar in every flute; a nightmare if it is your regular drink of choice!
Over the course of one evening drinking Prosecco, your tooth enamel is constantly attacked by acid erosion, each attack lasting for up to an hour.
So how can we save our teeth whilst enjoying a glass of fizz?
If you can, stick to combining your Prosecco time with mealtimes, this will reduce quantity of the acid attacks. Drinking through a straw can help as you would by-pass the teeth completely. Also chewing sugar free chewing gum can help reduce the acid attacks and balance the PH levels within your mouth.
Don’t make the mistake of brushing your teeth too soon after you have been drinking. The enamel will be soft from the acid attack for up to an hour, so avoid brushing completely during this period.
The ideal situation is to drink less sugary drinks on the whole. If you are going to drink, it is best taken with food to reduce the acidity.
Good oral health is essential.
Here at McGrath Dental we put a strong emphasis on oral hygiene and recommend you see our Dental Therapist at least twice a year.
If you have any concerns about acid attacks, tooth decay or anything else, please call McGrath Dental 0151 329 2888 and speak to one of our Treatment Coordinators who can best advise you on the right course of action.